IAJSD is open to both vocalists and instrumentalists who are also current music students aged 10-18 years old. Rehearsals are held each Saturday* throughout the school year in the Music Building at Grossmont College, 8800 Grossmont College Dr., El Cajon, CA 92020. Students also have several performance opportunities throughout the year at local events, festivals and parades. Ensembles are led by top jazz performers and experienced educators, including Kamau Kenyatta and Marshall Hawkins. IAJSD is happy to work with students of all levels.
Step One – REGISTER HERE.
Step Two – Select an Audition Time Below
All students who wish to join IAJSD for the second semester are required to attend a placement audition. Auditions will be held at Grossmont College in the Music Building. Please check in 15 minutes before your audition time.
Follow this quick and easy 3-step process to sign up for your audition time-slot:
- Click on “Sign up” in the desired 10-minute time slot.
- Fill in each blank and answer the questions
- Click the final “Sign Me Up” button.
- Student will be assessed on:
1) Sight reading: Instructors will supply music to read
2) Jazz melody solo* and
3) Improvisation* of your choosing.
* Please provide your backing tracks for the melody and improvisation on an MP3 or device of your choosing.
Date: December 16, 2017
Sign up below...
Thank you! We look forward to working (and playing jazz) with you!
We will not meet Nov. 25, Dec. 23, Dec. 30, Jan. 13, 2018, Feb. 17 and March 31 due to public school holidays. Last class is May 19, 2018.